blog background

9.7.11

Mermaid Party

We hosted Astyria's Barbie Mermaid party this afternoon. It was awesome, the kids and adults seemed to have a great time. 

Here are the details:
As each child entered the party they received a mermaid or pirate costume.
Here is a close up of the pirate costumes, the picture I took at the party was too windblown.

Each boy received a sash, pirate hat, sword, eye patch, and necklace.

This is how I displayed the mermaid costumes. The girls got a mermaid tutu, seashell tiara, and lei.

Once the kids changed into their costume they took a picture with a "life size" Barbie mermaid
The Birthday Girl with Barbie

One of the pirates
We had four kids tables set up for crafts and food

Each child got to use and take home one of these cute water bottles. The black dot in the center is chalkboard. I wrote their names on the bottles once all of the guests arrived.

We had three activities planned for the kids.
Sand Art

 Picture Frames for their Barbie Photo

 And, treasure hunting


To hold all of their goodies each guest had a personalized bucket.


After crafts the kids and adults had dinner.
 The kids had meat and cheese kabobs, "ocean in a cup", and goldfish crackers.



After dinner the kids played on the water slides......



Then we had cake pops, ice cream, and made candy boxes.

 Cake Pops
One side of the candy table was mermaid themed with "coral reef" (rock candy).
The girls took home mermaid candy boxes and the boys took home the pirate boxes.
The other candies were pirate pops and "sunken treasure" (pirate gummies).

Here is the birthday girl blowing out her candles!

I did not get a picture of the ice cream but it was tropical sorbet. The sorbet comes in real shells, it was really neat.
The box looks like this.

Here are some random details that I missed:
The adult food table decorations
Hanging decorations
Seaweed Garland

9 comments:

  1. Ashley, this looks like so much fun! Decorations are darling! I know the kids had fun!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make the mermaid skirts? If so would you mind sharing??
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did, I cant remember the amount of fabric that I used but you can measure around a child's waist. after you measure the amount of fabric you need for the skirt you need to cut the tulle to match the width of the skirt fabric. I cut two layers of blue tulle and two layers of green tulle. Each layer of tulle was about 4 inches long. I stacked the layers on top of each other and pinned them to the bottom of the skirt. I did a straight stitch to adhere the tulle to the skirt fabric. Next I added the elastic to the top of the skirt. Lastly I sewed a straight stitch down the side of the skirt to finish it off. Then all you need to do is turn it inside out so the seams don't show and cut the bottom of the tulle layers up so they look fluffy like a tutu. I'm sure this is clear as mud but I don't have any pictures to show you, sorry. It really was easy and went by quickly once you get a system going. Please send pictures if you try this:) I'd love to see how it turns out

      Delete
  3. This is great! Thanks so much for sharing!
    I am having a hard time staying to my budget of $100! I can't believe how $100 can go SO quickly!
    About how much (on average) do you spend on your children's parties?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and may I ask where you got your Rock Candy sticks and piles of sand you used on your tarp?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! It is very hard to stay under $100 dollars. This particular party was about 500-600 which also included food for about 35-40 people. We charge $200 for our regular party rate and spend about $50 in materials. But the Mermaid Party was more custom and she had a lot of guests. Just be creative and you can hit that $100 budget mark:) The rock candy came from Big Lots and they were .80 a piece. I found that Party City carries them for less and they sell them in a bag. Good Luck with your party:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the skirts, I am however challenged when it comes to this. Would you consider making and selling? jwilliams536@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my sister's favorite theme. It's sweet, colorful and just suits a kid's innocence. Glad to be exploring the net and found great Little Mermaid birthday party ideas like this. THis is going to be my niece's party theme next year. yehey <3 God bless always! I would love to pin some photos from this post hope it's find with you.

    ReplyDelete